You hear it from your doctor, your dentist, and on every other commercial on television – Your teeth are important and keeping them healthy means keeping yourself healthy. There are literally thousands of different products and procedures available on the market to give us humans a whiter, brighter, more attractive smile, and we spend billions every year in pursuit of the perfect set of pearly-whites.
Good dental health is a global concept, with dentistry schools and practices in operation on every continent except Antarctica. Programs such as Dentists Without Borders offer outreach efforts to communities the world over, to help give even the most underprivileged a chance at a healthy mouth. Despite thousands of years of study and practice, and despite all the products and programs available for humans to keep their smile nice, preventative dental health for pets is still a relatively new concept.
At Park Avenue Animal Hospital, dental health is a main area of focus for our doctors and staff. Professional dental cleanings are carried out just about every day by our skilled technicians and we’re always looking at new ways to help pet owners keep that ‘professional clean’ for as long as possible. That’s why we’ve teamed up with the Virbac company to offer a number of new dental care products that are made to help you CleanEvery Tooth in the easiest and most affordable means possible!
Introducing the C.E.T. Home Dental Care collection!
HEXtra Oral Chews – Premium chew clinically proven to reduce calculus when used daily in dogs. For daily use in dogs as a chew to help remove plaque and reduce tartar.
• Provides a well-known antiseptic effect and helps remove plaque and reduce tartar. Chews are coated with exclusive patented 10% solution of chlorhexidine gluconate.
• Contains beefhide for natural abrasive cleansing action. • Helps keep teeth clean and breath fresh, even on days when brushing isn’t possible.
• Persistent action. Chlorhexidine is released into the oral cavity during chewing and may be released for up to 24 hours, providing sustained antimicrobial action.
• Appealing flavor. Dog owners may give as a daily chew.
• Available in petite, medium, large, and extra-large sizes. All sizes available in 30-count bags.
C.E.T. VeggieDent Fr3sh Chews – Vegetable-based chew for dogs to help clean teeth and freshen breath. Vegetable-based chews that work with a dog’s chewing action to freshen breath, reduce plaque, and decrease tartar formation.
• Cleans teeth and freshens breath when chewed once a day by dogs.
• Independent study demonstrated significant plaque and tartar control in dogs fed 1 C.E.T.® VEGGIEDENT® Chew per day.
• Patent-pending easy-to-hold Z-shape design and tough, chewy consistency.
• Highly palatable vegetable-based chews for dogs. No animal-origin ingredients.
• Available in 2 sizes; 4-inch strips for small dogs and 6-inch strips for medium and large dogs. Packaged 30 chews per bag.
Enzymatic Toothpaste – Dual-Enzyme System toothpaste formulated for dogs and cats to provide natural antibacterial action and to inhibit the formation of plaque. Also acts quickly to help eliminate mouth odors. These toothpastes come in 3 appealing flavors and contain no foaming agents, so they are safe for pets to swallow. Poultry, malt, and vanilla-mint flavors are well accepted by pets to help make brushing easy.
Each of these products relies on either the mechanical action of chewing, or the antiseptic power of Chlorhexidine gluconate to help scrub teeth to slow the growth of plaque and tartar, and to make existing tartar easier to clean off during a routine dental cleaning. They are not meant to replace a professional cleaning, but they will certainly help to increase the amount of time between cleanings and help your pets maintain a healthy mouth. For availability and pricing information, and information on the proper administration of any of these products, don’t hesitate to call!